Cardiovascular disease is the number one
cause of mortality in the United States. Sometimes it can be
symptoms. However, with early diagnosis it can be prevented .
Cardiac stress testing assesses how the heart performs under
exercise induced stress. It is one of the best preventative
tools doctors have to test heart health and is a must for people
with multiple risk factors.
What are the multiple risk
factors for a heart attack or cardiac event ?
Risk factors include patients with high blood pressure, high
cholesterol, obesity, family history of cardiovascular disease,
smoking, a sedentary lifestyle and age (men over 55, women over 65).
What is the test like ?
Dr. Zurinaga will refer patients to a cardiologist for the test. The test basically consists of a brief
exercise where heart performance will be
measured through EKG, blood pressure monitoring and physiological
The total amount of time to complete the test is about 45- 60
minutes and you will know your results before leaving the office.
How should I prepare for the
- Wear comfortable shoes that will work well while riding a
- Dress comfortably- 10 EKG stickers will be placed on your
- Do NOT drink caffeine within 4 hours of the test.
- Do not smoke within 4 hours of the test
- Do not take inhaled breathing medications (inhalers) within
6 hours of the test (unless this would cause hardship in your
breathing, then proceed as prescribed by your physician).
- Take all other medications as prescribed, unless you are
specifically instructed not to do so by your physician.